1959 Aston Martin DB4 Series 1
Manufactured between October 1958 and June 1963, the DB4 developed through no fewer than five series. However, it should be made clear that the cars were not thus designated by the factory, this nomenclature having been suggested subsequently by the Aston Martin Owners Club to aid identification as the model evolved. The first series had already undergone a number of improvements, including the fitting of heavy-duty bumpers after the first 50 cars, before the second series arrived in January 1960. A front-hinged bonnet, bigger brake callipers and an enlarged sump were the major changes made on the Series II, while the third series featured separate rear lights, two bonnet stays and a host of improvements to the interior fittings. Manufactured between September 1961 and October 1962, the fourth series was readily distinguishable by its shallower bonnet intake, recessed rear lights and new grille with seven vertical bars. The final, fifth, series was built on a 3.5″ longer wheelbase (allowing for increased legroom and a larger boot) and gained 15″ wheels, an electric radiator fan and the DB4GT-type instrument panel.
Chassis number ‘178/R’ is the 78th DB4 made. This car is of the first series, very rare
model with no window frames. The original purchaser was Mr B Carlaw of Messrs Carlaw (Cars) Ltd, Glasgow. Originally registered ‘G 25’, the car was delivered finished in Elusive Blue with red Connolly hide interior trim. The second owner was Denton Gilbert, in July 1983. In 1985 the car was purchased by Ian H Moss and the car has seen virtually no use since then.
In 1986 the DB4 was acquired as a going concern by the current vendor, who started restoring the suspension and brakes using parts sourced from Aston Service Dorset. The project was stalled when the owner went to work overseas, and the car has been kept in dry storage for nearly 30 years. In 2013 the car then found a new owner who had it completely restored in our company. Over 350000 Euro on restoration costs were spent over the last
2 years to make the car look this superb.
The car underwent a complete body off nut and bold restoration. Absolutely everything is restored. The underneath is as beautiful as the above. During the restoration the car was rebuilt from Right hand drive to Left hand drive. The restoration is completely documented with photographs.
Finished in the colour Elusive blue with red Connolly leather seats and grey carpets, as it came from the factory in 1959. The car is imported in Belgium and has a factory certificate.
- +Leather interior
- +Spare tire
- +2 doors
- +Manual Transmission
- +4 seats
- +Left hand drive
- +chrome wire wheels
- +3670 cc